Cycling is a popular sport, whether it be individual cycling races, the Olympic Games, or cycling tours such as the Tour de France and Giro d’ Italia. As with most sports, cycling attracts betting. We’ve looked at some of the best cycling betting websites and the sports’ formats and rules.
Top online bookmakers for betting on Cycling
The most convenient means of betting on cycling is online. Several bookies offer odds on cycling, and we’ve reviewed some of the most trusted cycling betting sites. We also provide some tips on making more informed bets.
These are the top licensed bookies that we feel offer the best in cycling betting. We base this selection on coverage of the sports, ease of use, additional features and benefits, and the reputation of the sportsbook.
Whether you are using the mirror site or the main site, 1xbet guarantees amazing cycling events. These events are sourced from top cycling events such as Tour de Flanders and Tour de France.
- Amazing odds.
- Helpful live cycling statistics.
- Outrights on major cycling events.
- Live streaming of some events.
- Lacks captivating cycling promotions.
The operator Unibet is a versatile bookie covering different cycling events. Additionally, each event comes with multiple bet types to ease betting.
- Offers enhanced odds on some markets.
- Bet builder for accumulator betting.
- Supports cash-out.
- Live betting on cycling events is acceptable.
- Cycling-specific promotions are not available.
VBET is not just a site with a compelling signup bonus but also a bookie with appealing cycling events. With that said, you should look forward to a long list of cycling markets.
- Cash-out on select cycling bets.
- Cycling Outrights on top leagues.
- Extensive cycling statistics.
- Betting tips for cycling punters.
- Few domestic events.
The 888sport cycling betting section is immersive. The bookie has extensive markets with generous odds for cycling bettors.
- Has a cycling bet builder.
- Covers all top cycling leagues.
- Enhanced odds on main cycling competitions.
- Live betting is supported.
- Few live streams for cycling events.
Most Popular Betting Markets
These are the markets for cycling betting that attract the most interest.
- Outright Winner
Here you need to back the overall tournament winner, either the individual cyclist or team. This means the one declared winner at the conclusion of the event after all penalties and aggregates have been considered. While leading the race, this cyclist will be sporting a yellow jersey.
- King of the Mountains Winner
Each tournament will feature several hill or mountain stages. After each stage, one cyclist is declared “King of the Mountain”, and the one leading this category will wear a polka dot jersey. You’ll need to choose the cyclist who wins this category overall at the end of the tournament.
- Winner in Points Classification
During each stage, points are awarded for sprinting and other criteria. You’ll be backing the cyclist with the most points at the end of the tournament. Note that this will often not be the overall winner of the tournament. The leader of this category will wear a green jersey.
- Match Ups
Here you will pick one of two riders offered by the sportsbook to score the most points over the tournament. Usually, a selection of closely matched pairs will be given from across the field, not just the outright favourites.
- Finish in Top 3
Choose a rider that you think will finish among the top 3 at the end of the tournament. This affords you more leeway than an outright bet, as it is not place-specific, as long as your pick finishes on the podium. There is also a market where you can bet against a cyclist finishing in the top 3.
- Finish in Top 10
Similar to the top 3 finish, but this time your pick only has to finish in the top ten for your bet to win. While giving your bet more of a sporting chance, it also allows you to pick a cyclist that realistically has little chance of making the podium.
- Number of Finishers
The bookies will suggest a number of cyclists that they project will complete the tournament. You then bet on whether the actual finishers will be more or less than that number.
- Stage Wins
This market offers odds on each individual stage. You need to pick the winning cyclist for each stage. Find out more about each stage before betting. Is it flat or mountainous? Country roads, or in-town? Consider which cyclists are better suited to each type of stage.
Why Bet on Cycling?
Let’s look at some of the positives and downsides of cycling betting.
- Usually a large field of entrants to choose from.
- Most major events are televised and featured on social media.
- A large variety of betting markets.
- Weather and other external conditions can affect your bet.
- Stages can be unpredictable.
Important Factors to Consider
As with any sports betting, there are important factors to consider when deciding on your bets. The more informed and up-to-date you are, the better your betting choices will be.
- Look at the individual cyclists’ form. Some may be stronger over long distances; others may be good at sprint stages.
- Find out about the teams. What cyclists do they have in their line-up? Look at the team’s record in similar events. What have traditionally been their strong and weak points?
- Keep up-to-date with any injury concerns that riders may have.
- Look for a local weather forecast just before an event. Changeable weather has been known to produce shock results.
- Be careful with different race types. Tours are different to time trials and oval racing, and so is associated betting.
- Study news of the competition. Identify what strategies each team are likely to use.
- Don’t count on in-play betting on cycling. As most tournaments are run over several days or weeks, there is abundant scope for in-play betting. The complexity of the event is likely to change as it progresses, and the odds being offered will change accordingly. Keeping pace with developments as a race progress can open up some worthwhile bets. Almost all sportsbooks allow for betting throughout an event.
Cycling events arouse great interest worldwide, and betting on the sport makes an exciting alternative to sports more usually associated with bookies. With major events lasting for lengthy periods in the picturesque countryside, following your bet on television can be an adventure. The variety of betting markets available, and the ability to bet at any time during the event, offer rare betting versatility. PS: Make sure you read our cycling betting guide before you start.
We answer some frequently asked questions about cycling betting.
How do I find the best site to bet on cycling online?
You could refer to our guide elsewhere in this article.
Should I use different bookies when betting on cycling online?
Definitely. Once you have decided on your bet, look at the odds that different bookmakers are offering. Sometimes they can vary a lot, so it pays to shop around for the best odds on each bet.
What are the most popular cycling bets?
Overall winner, top 3 and top 10 are by far the most popular betting markets.
What if the cyclist I bet on is withdrawn?
Should your cyclist retire from the event or be withdrawn for any reason, your bet is voided, and your wager is returned.